Aloe-Vera is a cactus-like plant known for its healing and medicinal properties and holds an important place in Ayurveda. It is not at all a stranger to the skincare world. Only a few decades ago, we got to know about it and its brilliant properties. It is not only good for skin health but also for hair and overall body health. Nowadays it is one of the main ingredients of almost all skincare and hair care products. Moisturizing the skin and repairing damaged hair is one of the numerous benefits of Aloe-Vera. It is a naturally soothing gel because of its antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This makes it gentle on your hair and skin while hydrating and nourishing it. Continue reading for the benefits of aloe vera for skin and hair.
Benefits of Aloe-Vera for skin and hair
As we all know Aloe vera is a natural moisturizer. It has hydrating properties and absorbs into the skin like magic. Even for oily and acne-prone skin, aloe vera has proved to be a good ingredient. Now here are some benefits and uses of aloe-vera gel for our skin and hair.
Aloe-vera gel is mostly water, therefore it helps to hydrate the skin and even dry scalp. It helps lock moisture into the skin, it acts as a glue that sticks skin cells together. As a result, makes the skin smooth and soft.
2. Heals sunburn
The gel in the Aloe-Vera contains a compound named polysaccharides and a pain reliever called carboxypeptidase. These help in repairing and setting up new skin cells and also soothes the burnt area.
3. Relieve skin irritation
As mentioned earlier Aloe-Vera gel has anti-inflammatory properties. It contains compounds like acemannan that help soothes irritated skin affected by sunburn, rash, infection, redness, and itchiness and lowers irritation, making the gel suitable for our skin and hair.
4. Hydrates dry skin and scalp
Aloe-Vera gel seals moisture and keeps your skin hydrated. this property helps to treat dry skin and scalp and even dandruff. Aloe- vera helps retain the scalp’s moisture making it healthy.
5. Treats cold sores
cold sores develop outside of the mouth. Aloe vera may help treat the herpes virus, which is also the cause of cold sores. With all the other properties and compounds, Aloe-Vera is an antiseptic ingredient. This ingredient fights the virus, by creating antibodies in the immune system.
6. Fights acne
Aloe vera works alongside traditional acne medicines. One test study reported that a combination of common acne medicine and aloe vera gel can reduce acne in people. They can apply this gel on their face and other parts of the body. It can be used on its own or in combination with other natural products to fight acne.
7. Exfoliates skin
It is important to get rid of dead cells and clogged pores. Aloe vera is a known cleansing agent with antibacterial properties that cleanse the impurities of the skin. The antiseptic properties also, shield the skin from bacteria which in turn prevents skin infections.
8. Calms itchy scalp
The symptoms of an itchy scalp and flaking skin under your hair are known as dandruff. This can be treated with Aloe-Vera gel. Aloe-vera helps resolve the scalp inflammation that dandruff causes. The fatty acids found in the plant have anti-inflammatory properties.
9. Reduces signs of ageing
When the skin starts ageing, it loses its elasticity and shine and fine lines can be easily seen on the face. Aloe- vera gel can helps your skin in retaining its moisture and gives back your glow and radiance. It fades away the wrinkles and fine lines from the face. It also helps to increase the production of collagen in the body and skin elasticity, making it look much younger and beautiful.
10. Removes dark circles and puffiness
Dark circles look most prominent on the face. It is always very difficult to hide or fade them, but Aloe-Vera gel can work wonders for them. The gel is filled with vitamin E and other antioxidants which help in lightening the skin discoloration under the eyes. Aloe-Vera also helps in reducing puffiness under the eyes, and so one ingredient can work for two different issues at the same time.
How to use Aloe-Vera for skin and hair
This wholesome and wonderful plant has plenty of benefits and is a common Indian household item for these reasons. Here are some ways by which you can use this plant extract and solve your skin and hair problems.
1. Aloe-Vera for face
Here are some awesome Aloe-vera face packs that will make your skin clean and clear, will make you look flawless and simply wow!
1. ALOE-VERA HONEY FACE PACK
For this pack we will need:
- Aloe-vera gel 2 spoons.
- Honey 1 tablespoon.
- Few drops of lemon juice.
- Mix all the ingredients together, until the gel turns into white foam.
- Now apply the mask on to the face.
- Keep it on for about 10 minutes or till it dries off.
- Wash with normal water.
- repeat this twice a week and you will see blemishes on the skin are getting lighter.
2. ALOE- VERA AND MILK PACK
Aloe-vera and milk together can work wonders for the skin. For the pack, we will need:
- 2 spoons of Aloe-vera gel.
- 2-3 spoons of raw milk.
- Rosewater- 1 spoon full.
- Add milk and rose water to the Aloe-vera gel and whisk it.
- Make a smooth paste out of it.
- With the help of a brush or cotton pad apply the mixture on the face.
- Keep it on for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wash it with water and let the face dry by itself( do not use a towel)
- Use this once a week for shiny and soft skin.
3. ALOE-VERA AND SUGAR SCRUB
This aloe-vera and sugar scrub will exfoliate the skin making it clean and fresh. For this we will need:
- Sugar- 1 spoon full.
- Aloe-vera gel- 2 tablespoons.
- Few drops of lemon juice.
- Mix sugar lemon juice and Aloe-vera gel together.
- Rub it on the face and leave for 2 minutes.
- Now massage gently and keep it on the face for 5 more minutes.
- wash with normal water.
- This can be used once every 7 to 10 days for a clean and fresh face.
4. ICE CUBE RUBS FOR FACE
This is an easy and simplest way to keep your skin hydrated and fresh. For this you will need:
- Aloe-vera gel
- Ice tray.
- Mix aloe vera gel and water together.
- Pour the mix in the ice tray and freeze it.
- Use this ice cube at any time.
- This can work for face, under eyes for dark circles, for sunburns and even for skin irritation too.
5. ALOE-VERA AND TURMERIC FACE PACK
This face pack brings instant glow on the face and you will shine. Ingredients needed:
- A spoon is full of turmeric powder.
- Aloe-vera gel 1 spoon.
- Rosewater- 2-3 spoons.
- Mix or blend turmeric and Aloe-vera gel.
- Add rose water and mix well.
- Apply this on the face with the help of a brush.
- Leave it on for about 10-12 minutes.
- Wash with Luke warm water.
- Use this mask twice a week for the shine on the face.
2. Aloe-Vera for hair
Like skin and face, Aloe-vera gel is equally beneficial for the hair too. some of the uses are as follows:
1. PURE ALOE-VERA GEL
As we already know the gel has a good amount of vitamins and minerals which are great for our hair. When you use aloe vera on your hair and scalp, the flow of the blood increases. aloe vera rub will not only conditions the hair but cleanse the scalp. This will in return lowers and reduces hair breakage and hair loss. Use the gel and massage your scalp 5 minutes, every alternate day and you will definitely feel the difference in your hair.
2. ALOE-VERA GEL CONDITIONER
Aloe-vera gel is a great ingredient and as we know it is a good moisturizer, the gel when mixed with your daily conditioner can make your hair healthier and shinier.
- Mix a spoon full of aloe vera gel with your conditioner.
- Use this after shampoo and see the magic.
- You will find the difference in one wash.
- Add this gel every time you condition your hair.
So these were some benefits Aloe-Vera for skin and hair. If you want your hair and skin to look its best, try aloe vera gel as part of your hair care routine. It might not work for everyone, but there’s little to no risk in trying it.