Turmeric powder comes from the root of Curcuma longa, which is native to Southeast Asia. It has active ingredient curcumin, that gives it that yellow-orange color and also what makes it anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial. This spice which is related to the ginger family is available as a supplement in other beauty products also. Turmeric is probably the most important spice in Indian dishes and possibly, one of the most powerful herbs too. Everyone dreams if a healthy and glowing skin, with so many useful benefits and impacts of Turmeric. This powerful Asian spice is known for brightening your skin. Scroll down for the benefits of turmeric for skin and body.
Benefits Of Turmeric For Skin And Body
A study report says that one ounce of turmeric gives you 26% of your daily requirement of manganese and 16% of iron. The herb is also a wonderful source of fiber, potassium, vitamin B6, magnesium, and vitamin C. It also contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory components. These provide glow and luster to the skin. Turmeric may also freshen your skin and bring out its natural glow. Now following are some benefits of the multi-purpose and multi-functional spice turmeric.
1. Turmeric heals wound
Curcumin helps in healing any cuts or wound on the body. Turmeric heal by decreasing inflammation and oxidation also lowers the response of your body towards wounds. This may result in your wounds heal more quickly. Scientists also recommend turmeric for healing skin wounds.
2. Turmeric soothe psoriasis
Psoriasis is an immune disease in which inflammation causes skin cells to build upon each other. It creates dry and scaly patches on the skin, that are prone to cracking and bleeding. The main compound curcumin in turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties. This combats cell production also reduce the uncomfortable skin patches, and lowers skin irritations.
3. Fights acne
Turmeric has natural antiseptic properties, which makes it an effective remedy for fighting acne. It helps to keep bacteria from spreading and hence very effective for acne and even helps in reducing the acne scars. Turmeric acts as a natural toner when mixed with Apple cider vinegar or uses Turmeric oil to cure acne and scar problems.
4. Skin lightening with turmeric
A study found that turmeric essential oil formulation can brighten skin in three weeks with results that last long. It is a proven anti-inflammatory and lightening agent. These glowing benefits are likely the result of powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds working together, bringing out the natural color of the skin.
5. It protects from sun damage
All the anti-inflammatory properties in turmeric, protect us from the harmful sun rays. The antiseptic formulation also treats the damaged skin. Research shows that a moisturizing cream containing turmeric had the ability to improve the appearance of fine lines and brown spots caused by sun damage. It also helps in preventing loss of skin elasticity caused by the UV rays of the sun, this makes you look younger and damage-free.
6. Hydrates dry skin
Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory and free-radical-fighting properties make it a super product for dry skin. It deeply hydrates your skin and gives it a fresh and softer look. It naturally removes dead skin cells and makes your skin soft and healthy, also protects the skin cells from further damage.
7. Turmeric slows unwanted hair growth
A study shows that curcumin oil or turmeric helps in slowing unwanted hair growth from the body. It may take a longer period of time to show better results, but it is helpful. This may also depend on the quality of hair, thick hair may take longer time than thin hair.
Side Effects Of Turmeric For Skin And Body
Even the best things have something bad in them, turmeric is no different from this and has some side effects too.
- Turmeric has a low bioavailability. That means the metabolism burns it off quickly and not much of it is absorbed by our body.
- The most obvious consequence of turmeric is skin staining. Try not to leave it on your skin too long, otherwise, your face will look yellow and pale.
- Check for allergy, do a patch test before applying it on to your skin. If allergic to turmeric, it may cause rashes and skin irritation and redness easily.
- Take little amount of turmeric at a time, avoid taking too much. Wait to see how your body reacts before taking more.
- If you experience any itching, burning, or other skin irritation, wash off or rinse the area immediately and stop using the remedy or product.
- High doses of turmeric or Curcumin may cause digestive and gut-related issues.
Turmeric Face Packs
After knowing what is turmeric, what are its benefits, and some side effects? Let us now know how to use it for our skin in different face packs and scrubs for dry skin types.
The following are some D.I.Y face packs for dry skin.
1. Almond, milk and turmeric face pack
This pack helps in reviving and repairing the dull dry and damaged skin.
- One teaspoon of turmeric.
- A tablespoon full almond powder.
- 2 tablespoons of raw milk.
- Mix turmeric and almond powder together.
- Add milk to make a fine paste, that should not be too thick.
- Apply the mixture on to your face evenly.
- Keep it for about 15 to 20 minutes
- wash with water and moisturize after.
- Use this pack once a week and make your skin softer and smoother than before.
2. Olive oil, honey and turmeric face pack
Olive oil when mixed with turmeric gives the required back moisture to the skin, while honey makes it soft and shiny. This recipe works best for dry skin.
- Two tablespoons of olive oil.
- One spoonful turmeric.
- One spoon of raw honey.
- Mix all the ingredients together into a fine paste, let the olive oil emulsify properly.
- Apply the paste or mixture on to your face and keep it for 15 minutes.
- Wipe off with a warm face towel, then wash with water.
- It is important to moisturize after you wash your face when you have a dry skin type.
- This mixture can be used twice a week to make your skin feel fresh and soft like never before.
3. Egg white and turmeric mask
Eggs works as astringent and when mixed with turmeric and other ingredients make the dry skin soft and smooth.
- 1 egg
- A teaspoon full turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon almond oil
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Mix egg white and almond oil to make a fine paste.
- Add turmeric, lemon juice and rose water in the paste.
- Apply the pack on to your face and wherever there is dry skin on your body.
- Apply the mixture with a brush or cotton pad.
- Let is sit on the skin for about 15 minutes.
- wipe off with a towel and then wash.
- Moisturize after washing.
- You can use this pack once a week and get softer skin in a month or two.
So these are some turmeric face packs and scrubs for dry skin types.
If you ‘re looking for a natural skin treatment that you can find on the shelves at your local grocer, look no further. Turmeric has positive studies supporting its ability to minimize inflammation and accelerate healing, which is useful for both medical and cosmetic reasons. Use as a powder, or as an essential oil.
Also Read: Benefits Of Aloe-Vera For Skin And Hair
Disclaimer: Check turmeric on your forearm, applying a dime-sized quantity and wait 24 to 48 hours to see how you respond before using on your face. If you are allergic to the herb in food, do not use turmeric on your skin.