You may have seen your child sit oddly after he begins keeping his body straight without any assistance. Many parents are still concerned about why W-sitting is bad for babies, and require some help. The sitting posture is far from ideal, to say the truth, and requires correction as quickly as possible. Scroll down for the effects of a W-sitting position in toddlers.
What is the W-sitting Position In Toddlers?
Many kids prefer sitting on their hips and bending their knees, extending their legs outwards. Looking from above, the legs and hips tend to form the letter “W” which gives its name to this position.
Why Do Toddlers Prefer to Sit In W Position?
The W-position is one of the simplest and most relaxed since it needs just a few muscle forces and can be easily reached in all directions across the body. However, this ease comes at the cost of the body’s physical growth.
Why The W-sitting Position In Toddlers Should Be Prohibited?
There is a strong reason why babysitting in W-shape needs to be advised to sit properly. The whole position keeps the weight centered through the trunk at the single point of the body, hardly allowing any need or freedom to use the upper portion. Besides that, a few drawbacks emerge from the fact that you still sit in such a pattern.
- Throughout that position, Since the thigh muscles do not have the freedom to relax with their bending character, legs can develop a sort of rigidity that can not be comfortable to the child even on the usual stage.
- There is not much stress in the core part of the child’s body that makes it vulnerable through growth.
- Such a core can lead to unstable motion as the child goes and can impact his role. While running or in different activities. the thigh muscles stay tightened. This will change the joints, and can also affect the way you move and the child’s postures, as it sits there for a long period of time.
- The pattern of the child is set in a certain position, such that the upper part of the body is fixed. For the body to experience as many movements and stresses as possible, it is important in the early years to properly grow each region. This W-position hardly allows any back tension and makes it weak.
- The distribution of weight is one of the big issues of this sitting position. There are few and most of them fall on the hips. The hips can suffer from a focused weight strain.
How To Stop W-sitting position In Toddlers?
The child may find the W-position very comfortable to sit in, but they need to be prevented from being used to it. There are ways to help correct the habit, as well as to ensure that over time the muscle groups continue to grow strongly.
- Massages will help build up the missing strength in the specific muscle regions for young children who are sitting in the W-position all this time. These are intended mainly to reinforce the back and other body joints.
- The core strength and body stability are significantly affected by sitting in W-position. Undertaking yoga exercises will remedy this. It can really work wonders accompanied by a proper trainer.
- Regular activity at this age is completely crucial in ensuring that the child’s regular growth progresses in the right direction. Hence encouraging your little one to participate with other kids in sports like swimming, cycling or outdoor games will help his body get all the exercise it wants.
- Grown-up kids will also be used to sit in the W-position and not be conscious of the impact it has on their bodies. Their posture may already be impaired and their back low. Pediatric advice is critical in understanding how to make changes to the same.
- It’s crucial that you start to correct your child as soon as you can. Keep reminding him to correct his mistake, even if that means asking him in a single day several times. It’ll take time to break one habit.
- When your child has trouble sitting in any other position, instead of the floor, you should make a stool or chair compulsory.
Alternative Sitting Position For W-Sitting Position Kids
It is difficult to advise children who are accustomed to sitting in W-position merely by telling them not to do so. It’s necessary to offer them alternatives to sit comfortably and get used to the new role.
- It can not be convenient for kids to change their seating position all of a sudden. You may then start by offering them a small stool that helps them to remain close to the ground when playing and interacting with other children or toys.
- Squatting is another position. Although that could be daunting for adults, children should find it very easy because their muscle strength is on the rise. This also allows you to quickly build core strength, as well as sturdy legs.
- A safer alternative to the W-sitting posture can be kneeling. By sliding one foot under the other, you can always make it easy for your child to sit on the ground to keep his body active.
- The previous kneeling posture will also slowly revert to a W posture unknown to the child. Using a half kneel, then, as your child folds a leg, leaving the other leg as it is.
- You can accomplish a simple correction of the W-sitting posture by extending the legs out from the front. Be sure the child is sitting like this while reading a book or while engaged in the solitary activity.
- Although certain positions can appear awkward, a side-sitting person may hold the weight partly on both the hip and legs. It assists in making the change quickly.
- Gradually, while on the ground, you may ask your child to sit with his or her legs crossed. This is also the most rising, and secure position for the body.
The easiest way to nip the root of the problem is to fix W-sitting in toddlers. The early years of your children play a vital role in their success. It is crucial to ensure that they advance in the best possible way.
Also Read: Useful Tips To Help Your Baby Walk?