Cause Of Hair Loss During Pregnancy

0
332
Hair Loss During Pregnancy
Image Source - Canva

Hair loss during pregnancy is one of the symptoms of a pregnant woman that they have to cope with during pregnancy. The daily loss of hair is a normal occurrence. When we wash and comb it, we all lose hair at a steady and continuous pace. We classify our hair into anagen and telogen hair. Approximately 90% of our hair is increasing in the growth cycle at any given time, while the remaining 10% is in resting mode.

Anagen is the hair that grows, and telogen is the hair that rests. This growth cycle pauses in the resting phase during pregnancy, and you have thicker hair as it does not shed. But during pregnancy, you can’t always expect your hair to grow thicker as you can lose hair for different reasons as well.

Is It Normal to Lose Hair During Pregnancy?

Small patches of hair loss during pregnancy are quite normal. Research surveys show that almost 40 to 50% of pregnant females experience hair loss, and the nice thing is that this is just a temporary phenomenon.

Due to the progesterone hormone produced in high quantities during pregnancy, hair may become drier. This can cause the hair to break and crack close to the roots, mostly during late pregnancy.

During pregnancy, you may lose hair for multiple reasons. But if the loss is unusual, you should check the precise cause behind it with your doctor.

Causes Of Hair Loss During Pregnancy

Do not worry if your hair loss during pregnancy is more than what it was during normal times. This could be caused by hormonal fluctuations and physical changes and is usually a temporary phenomenon until the birth of the baby. Other reasons for hair loss during pregnancy could be as follows:

  • Poor nutrition:

During pregnancy, your body needs more nutrition. The demand for iron is high. Inadequate intake may result in hair loss. The contributing factors may also be the shortage of protein, vitamins, and minerals in the body. In the first trimester, nausea and vomiting can lead to poor nutrition. In addition, the intake of excess vitamins such as vitamin A retinol may also result in hair loss.

  • Usual hormonal changes:

Changes in the hair during pregnancy may also result from changes in hormones in this phase that are normal. Hormone fluctuation stops or disrupts the normal hair development cycle leading to excessive hair removal or telogenic effluvium. Within a few months, this condition will disappear.

  • Genetics too play a big role:

The hair loss also has a genetic background – that is, you will probably be impacted if your parents have the same issue. Medication and therapy could be useful to deal with genetically modified hair fall.

  • Diseases:

Some diseases can cause loss of hair, such as gestational diabetes and ringworms (fungal infection). Some medicines also improve the risk of hair loss, like hypertensive medicines, depression, and anxiety. Update your doctor if you observe enhanced hair loss during medication.

  • PCOS:

PCOS is a hormonal imbalance that causes ovaries to generate excessive amounts of male hormones. While most females impacted by this disorder have increased hair growth, hair loss around the scalp region may also be observed.

  • Reproductive causes:

Ending the use of birth control medicines or any other method of birth control may result in hair loss. As a consequence of miscarriage, abortion, and stillbirth, you may also experience hair loss.

Loss of hair is not a medical emergency. But it can be detrimental to the underlying cause, such as nutritional deficiency or disease. If you discover excessive hair loss during pregnancy, you should consult with an obstetrician. But if it’s not alarming, create some routine adjustments and see.

How To Manage Hair Loss During Pregnancy

There are some things you can do during pregnancy to decrease hair loss or to have healthier hair.

  • Do not over brush your hair as further harm can be caused.
  • Don’t go for tight hairstyles like as ponytails, cornrows, braids, hair weaves and hair rollers, as they can pull your hair and make it stressful to break down.
  • Do not use straightening or chemical coloring treatments as they render the hair dry and brittle.
  • Use shampoo and conditioner that is milder.
  • Use a comb to brush your moist hair.
  • Scalp massage to boost circulation in the blood.
  • Eviting the use of hair colors as damaging chemicals can cause excessive hair loss.
  • Eat lots of flavonoids and antioxidants in fruits and vegetables that assist protect hair follicles from harm and boost hair growth.

Hair loss is a natural event, and it is normal to experience enhanced hair loss during and after pregnancy. During this sensitive period, taking some additional care of your hair will surely assist you to solve the problem.

Also Read: Cause Of Hair Loss After Delivery