As an individual, we do a lot of different activities and things with our hands daily. If your hands are dry, you would surely know how uncomfortable they can be. Dry hands could be caused by various factors. Daily life can result in rough and chapped hands. Soaps and other cleaning products we use can cause our hands to look discolored, wrinkles, and rough. Luckily, there’s no need to worry, with the right knowledge and remedies, one can make their hands much smoother and softer. Scroll down for the home remedies for rough hands.
Causes of rough or dry hands
Skin dryness is often caused due to many environmental factors. In some, health conditions can also be one of the reasons for chapped and rough hands. Some are
- Workplace environment: Individuals who use strong Sanitizers to wash their hands multiple times daily, have dry and rough hands. Those who spend a long duration washing dishes also tend to have dry hands. The strong chemicals in detergents and soaps can strip your skin of its natural oils, causing your hands to become extremely dry.
- Weather conditions: Usually in winters the air is dry and cool, which makes our skin dry and rough. This is a common reason and people with dry skin may find it more difficult in keeping their hands soft in winters.
- Medical conditions: This can be another reason, as medical conditions that affect the blood flow of the body making the skin rough and dry. Skin reactions like psoriasis and eczema can also cause your hands to go dry.
Following are some remedies, that will help you in reducing the dryness and roughness of the hands.
Home remedies for rough hands
Here are some home remedies for rough hands that will help you in reducing the dryness and roughness of the hands.
1. Aloe-Vera gel
Aloe Vera has hydrating and healing properties, that reduce skin inflammation and irritation, in return nourishes your hand.
- Massage some gel onto your hands and keep it on for as much as you want.
- Aloe-Vera will soak into your skin and will make your hand softer and dryness free.
- Use this every day to get soft hands.
2. Almond oil
This oil contains natural fatty acids in good quantity, making it suitable for curing dryness and roughness of our hands.
- You just have to apply a good amount of oil and massage it onto your hands.
- Do this process until the oil gets soaked to the skin.
- Use this oil before sleeping, this will make your hands softer in a few days.
3. Petroleum jelly
It is a mixture of mineral oils and waxes, which has great moisturizing properties. You just have to:
- Apply a fair amount of jelly (Vaseline) on your hands before sleeping.
- Massage properly, as thick jelly takes time to get soaked.
- Leave it overnight and make your hands softer and smoother.
4. Olive oil and sugar scrub for hands
Olive Oil has hydrating properties and helps retain the moisture of your skin. In this scrub, sugar will exfoliate and remove the dead cells and oil will moisturize. For this you have to:
- Take 1 spoon of sugar and pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil in it.
- Apply the mix on your palm and massage gently.
- Keep the mixture for about 15 minutes and
- Wash it with warm water.
- Repeat this process twice or thrice a week and make your hand smooth and soft.
5. Glycerin and rose water for soft hands.
Glycerin is a moisturizer that actually attracts more moisture. It is essentially like a sponge that pulls in water to the outer skin, making it moist and soft. For this you have to:
- Mix glycerin and rose water in equal amounts.
- Add some lemon juice in it.
- With the help of a cotton pad, apply the mixture on your hands.
- Massage gently, until the skin is dry.
- Use this twice a day to get faster results.
Now we will see, some simple and easy kitchen products that can make your hands smoother and softer in no time.
Easy kitchen remedies to get softer hands
1. Butter (Makkhan)
Yes, you heard it right, butter is one effective skin-nourishing ingredient from our kitchen, just:
- Take a cube of butter and massage it on your hands and palms.
- Massage in a circular motion.
- Do this until the oil gets soaked into the skin.
- You can do this every day, for softer and smoother hands like Makhan.
2. Egg yolks
Eggs are beneficial when consumed and the conditioning properties that the yolk contains, due to the presence of the lecithin compound make it good for our skin also. Just follow the simple steps:
- Take the yolks of 2 eggs (Quantity of eggs may be increased or decreased as per your choice or dryness in hands) whisk them properly to make a fluffy mixture.
- Soak your palms and wrist in the yolks.
- Keep them in there for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with warm water
- Do this once a week.
Honey is also easy available ingredient from the kitchen pantry. It also helps in keeping the skin moist and hydrated. For this you just have to:
- Take some raw honey in your palms and massage.
- It might get a bit sticky, but gently rub it in between your fingers and hands.
- Keep it for 5 minutes or until it dries off.
- Wash hands with warm water.
- This remedy will help regain the moisture of the skin and also will make it look shiny and smooth.
This is a super convenient thing and easily available. Malai is a cream of milk and has great hydrating and nourishing properties. Follow these simple steps daily and say bye to dry rough and chapped hands.
- Take a spoon of Malai.
- Add some rose water in it and apply it to your hands.
- Massage, until the skin, soaks the mixture.
- You can leave it as it is or can wash hands after a minute or two.
- Do this process daily and make your hands smooth and soft.
These were some super easy and very effective home remedies for rough hands. Try these and say goodbye to rough and dry hands.
Also Read: Ayurvedic Treatment For Dry Skin