How to Choose the Best Massage Oil for newborns? See our full guide for massage oils of various kinds along with tips for baby massage.
In several places in India, bookings are made not for the doctor, but for the maalishwaali, as soon as a woman’s pregnancy reaches the 3-month mark! This is how much baby massage experts are in demand, particularly because today they are less.
The demand is not necessarily for the Maalishwaali, but rather for the facilities she offers for the Maalish or massage. Baby massage has been practiced for hundreds of years and is still immensely popular. These advantages are possibly linked to this popularity.
Benefits of Baby Massage
- Touch is the most developed sense of the child right from birth, so a massage is a perfect way to stimulate the baby
- A successful massage encourages all body functions to work efficiently
- Massaging the arms and legs increases blood supply through the limbs
- Like adults, massages comfort kids and render them less nervous.
- In some babies, massage will soothe colic
- A decent massage will enhance sleep for babies
- In fact, premature babies benefit from a more sleepy and nourishing care and weight gain
- It fosters the link between parent and child when done by mother and father.
We already know that massage helps the baby in many ways, so the next question is about the massage oil. A baby’s skin is much more fragile than adult skin, ensuring a great deal of consideration is required for the oil to be used. It should be safe and gentle and giving babies all their advantages. You should not use any oil until the baby is 4 or 6 weeks old at least. You should move on to use a massage oil until your baby has crossed the 8 weeks mark. A full guide is offered to assist you in choosing the best massage oil for newborns.
How To Choose The Right Massage Oil For Newborns
You may want to know the right massage oil as a new mum. Here is a complete guide to assist you:
- Because a child’s skin is thin and fragile, an oil that is dermatologically tested for safety must also be chosen.
- Given the value of improving the strength of your baby’s bones, muscles, and joints in the first months after birth, it is important, with validated ingredients, that a baby massage oil is selected. Thus it is important to thoroughly examine ingredients in every baby product.
- Do not pick a baby oil solely due to its appearance or feeling. Light oils may have unnatural coloring or non-baby skin-friendly synthetic oils. Just natural oils and herbs should be included in your baby’s oil.
- Often a baby oil texture can be deceptive to indicate that a baby’s skin is soft, safe, and effective. As the ingredients combine to create a natural mixture, ayurvedic oils can look textured thicker. Many ayurvedic herbs, however, are shown to help keep the skin smooth and soft and feed it and add luminosity. This is why the ingredients / the composition of various oils should be compared
- It is a misconception that light oil will lighten the skin tone of the infant and dark oil will darken the skin tone. Some herbs used in oils contribute to black, but their influence is magical for the toning and calming of the skin.
Best Massage Oil For Newborns
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the most commonly used oils in India – and the rest of the world! It is widely available, affordable, and filled with health benefits. Coconut oil is a very skin-friendlike oil, with antioxidants, lauric acid, and caprylic acid. It also incorporates anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, meaning the baby’s skin is healthy from infection.
Coconut oil is light and ideal for the season since it is readily consumed and does not clog the pores. It is also the best option for children with allergic skin or illnesses such as eczema, rashes, or dermatitis. Coconut oil can also assist with common conditions such as cradle cap and diaper rash. Opt for extra virgin coconut oil for the best possible benefits.
2. Sesame Oil
Another favorite choice for Indian moms is sesame oil. In several Ayurvedic formulations, sesame oil is made of sesame seeds. It is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, and its light composition makes it a good option for summer.
Sesame oil penetrates the skin and feeds it inside. The B, D, and E vitamins will aid in treating baby skin rashes and moisturize the baby skin.
3. Almond Oil
Another all-weather massage oil with a wonderful fragrance is almond oil. Rich with vitamin E, it’s great for soft and smooth baby skin. Most baby massage experts use almond oil as their main ingredient with their own massage oils.
Almond oil still has many advantages for the baby’s scalp, and as she develops, you will continue to use it for your infant. Choose plain almond oil since certain varieties on the market are adulterated. Very fragrant oils are probably infused with chemical aromas, so do your homework before you purchase them.
4. Castor Oil
Castor oil is good for hair development and is an excellent baby hair massage oil. Besides for babies with dry skin, it also serves as a strong moisturizer. They will also help to reinforce the castor oil added to the nails.
It can also soothe colic by massaging warm castor oil on the baby’s tummy. This oil also helps to alleviate sunburn, which in babies is not exactly normal but can be used in older children. It is important to make sure it is not consumed because it is unsafe for eating. You will need to avoid castor oil if your kid is in the habit of licking his hands and fingers.
5. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil, as it has a warming effect, is a common massage oil in the winter, particularly in North India. It is not, however, appropriate for babies with eczema, rashes or dry skin. Some studies have shown that mustard oil can irritate fragile baby skin, so the use of mustard oil along with another carrier oil is always advised.
Garlic, fenugreek seeds, and carom seeds are often heated with mustard oil and then strained and cooled before massaging the infant. It helps to get rid of the sharp smell to some degree. Some moms also learn that mustard oil massage helps relieve symptoms of cough and cold, especially during the winter.
Since ancient times in our country, baby massage has been an important babycare tradition. Oils fortified with Ayurvedic herbs have been used by mothers and grandmothers who have strengthening and nourishing powers.
Also Read: New Born Baby Care Essential Kit