International Men’s Day, observed annually on 19 November, is celebrated around the world to concentrate on men’s welfare activities by making a meaningful impact and raising awareness of the problems faced by men. Read on to know why international men’s day is celebrated.
Importance Of International Men’s Day
International Men’s Day is primarily a celebration of the positive value that men bring to their communities, their families, and the world. Being in November is of particular significance because it is also ‘Movember’ month, an annual occurrence in which men grow their mustaches during the month to raise awareness of male health problems such as testicular cancer, prostate cancer, etc.
On International Men’s Day which is celebrated in more than 80 countries worldwide, many important issues are discussed. Some topics are here:
- Speak about the wellbeing of men and boys – mental, physical, social, and spiritual
- Importance of equality between genders
- Gender improvements in various cultures
- For the younger generations, positive male role models
- Make a difference in the community for boys and men
History Of International Men’s Day
While International Women’s Day was introduced as early as 1909, since 1969, men have been demanding an International Men’s Day. In 1999, Dr. Jerome Teelucksingh, a doctor from Trinidad and Tobago, eventually relaunched International Men’s Day. To celebrate his father’s birthday, he chose the date of November 19.
The reason behind celebrating International Men’s Day, according to Dr. Teelucksingh, was not only to resolve problems relating to men and boys but to discuss and open discussions on taboo subjects such as men’s mental health and male suicide.
International Men’s Day Celebrations in different countries
Various countries celebrate IMD by addressing issues that most affect their populations in various ways. Male suicide, for instance, is one of the big issues in the UK that is focused on International Men’s Day. As their men have three times the risk of committing suicide in the country (as the Samaritans, an emotional charity, have reported).
Indian Men’s Advocate Uma Chulla began the celebrations in India in 2007. In the country’s anti-male legal system, the motto behind this was to highlight the shocking violence that men face. Fatty changes in the liver and belly fat, which pose issues for Indian men, are other topics discussed.
Some celebrate the day by donating to men’s health, creating and distributing mental health posters, and so on.
While International Men’s Day is a good way to address the problems of gender stereotyping and gender-based discrimination, it was created after the International Woman Day which was conceived in 1910. This will lead to the development of an even safer and healthier environment that encourages everyone to flourish and make meaningful contributions to society.
International Men’s Day 2020 Theme
2020 “Better health for Men and Boys”
International Men’s Day 2020 Positive Quotes for Men
It is time to respect and recognize a man’s sacrifices for his family and community. Here are some thoughtful quotes from celebrities that are well known.
- It is not what he has, or even what he does which expresses the worth of a man, but what he is.” – Henri-Frederic Amiel
- “There is nothing noble being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” – Winston Churchill
- Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again. – Nelson Mandela
- One individual may die for an idea, but that idea will, after his death, incarnate itself in a thousand lives. -Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
- Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren’t very new after all.-Abraham Lincoln
- “Being male is a matter of birth. Being a man is a matter of age. But being a gentleman is a matter of choice.” – Vin Diesel
- “A woman simply is, but a man must become. Masculinity is risky and elusive. It is achieved by a revolt from a woman, and it confirmed only by other men. Manhood coerced into sensitivity is no manhood at all. -Camille Paglia
- Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
A man is the most beautiful aspect of God’s creation, which at a very tender age begins to compromise.
Society continues to withdraw to men’s needs. Men are commonly seen as noisy and outgoing. When it comes to emotions, men should mask their feelings and show bravery regardless. This brings them down emotionally and induces depression and suicide. Men are considered to be a valuable social asset. They make a major difference to those around them.
You should be encouraged to have open conversations and spend more time with your families. Talks about issues that affect them will improve their mental health for a long time.
Also Read: Facts About International Women’s Day 2020