Indian Air Force Day is celebrated on 8 October 2020 to mark the birth of the Indian Air Force ( IAF) and to officially and publicly raise the consciousness of the Indian Air Force within every national security organization. IAF is the Indian Armed Forces’ air wing. India is celebrating its 88th IAF Day this year. Learn more from this article about the Indian Air Force day history, significance, facts, and quotes.
Indian Air Force Day 2020
It is held on October 8 each year. India is celebrating the 88th Indian Air Force Day in 2020. The day will be observed in order to acquire both authoritative and free familiarity with the Indian air force in each national safety association. IAF Day is marked by the formation of the Indian Air Force to assist the army fighting on the land. The IAF is the fourth largest air force in the world after the USA, Russia, and China with around 1,500 aircraft and 1,70,000 employees.
History Of Indian Air Force Day 2020
The IAF was established on 8 October 1932, and its first ac flight was created on 1 April 1933 according to the Indian Air Force’s official website. During that time, India was controlled by the UK and it was referred to as India’s ‘Royal Indian Air Force,’ the aviation-based military. However, it changed to the Indian Air Force after Independence (In 1950), when the country became a Republic. IAF has seen several wars since 1950, and is now the world’s fourth-largest air force after the United States, Russia, and China, with around 1,500 aircraft and 1,70,000 employees.
Significance Of Indian Air Force Day 2020
The Indian Air Force serves as an air force for all Indian armed forces and secures Indian airspace. In armed conflicts, it conducts aerial warfare. In Operation Meghdoot, Operation Cactus, Operation Vijay, and Operation Poomalai, the IAF had played an important part in its operations. Indian Air Force was also part of the peacekeeping operations of the United Nations. In India’s biggest wars with China and Pakistan, the Indian Air Force also played a significant role. India recently welcomed 4 Rafale Air Force fighter planes.
Celebration Of Indian Air Force Day 2020
It is celebrated in different air stations all over India with eagerness and pride. The parades will all be held at their Airbases in the Indian states. The military parade will also take place as planned and in compliance with the protocol. During the Air Force Day Parade, IAF highlights different aircraft.
About Indian Air Force
Founded on: 8 October 1932
Headquarters: New Delhi
Part of: Indian Armed Force
Motto: Touch the Sky with Glory
The Indian Air Force is known as “Bhartiya Vayu Sena” as well. It’s the Indian Armed Forces air wing. On 8 October 1932, the IAF was formally set up. It was a British Empire auxiliary air force that honored India’s air services with the Royal prefix during the Second World War (WWII).
The name Royal Indian Air Force was appended to India in 1947 after its independence. In 1950, the Royal Prefix was abolished as the country transitioned to a republic. Since 1950, IAF has been engaging in a war with Pakistan and China. Operation Vijay, Operation Meghdoot, Operation Cactus, and operation Poomalai are other key activities performed by the IAF.
In UN operations worldwide, the annexation of Goa from Portugal, and various wars with Pakistan, IAF played important roles. The Indian Peacekeeping Force (IPKF) in Sri Lanka is funded by the IAF. The IAF received the Param Vir Chakra, the highest award for gallantry in India, which was awarded posthumously to Flying Officer Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon after the war with Pakistan in 1971.
The President of India is the Supreme Commander-in-chief of the Air Force. The Chief of the Air Staff with the rank of Air Chief Marshal is the Commander of the IAF. The HAL HF-24 Marut is the first jet aircraft developed by India. It is to come into operation as well as the first to pass the test process in Asia. Hindustan Aircraft Limited (HAL) designed the fighter-bomber aircraft.
Facts about IAF
- The President of India holds the rank of the Indian Air Force Supreme Commander.
- Air Force Marshall – Arjan Singh became the Indian Air Force’s first and so far five-star rank officer.
- Indian Air Force hires approximately 139,576 employees and 1,40,000 reserve employees.
- IAF is the world’s fourth-biggest air force.
- The first Indian CAS of the Indian Air Force was Subroto Mukerjee.
Indian Air Force Day 2020: Quotes And Wishes
- “And then, when I thought about joining the Air Force, flying seemed like a natural extension of the motorcycling experience. You’re going faster, higher. You’re operating a machine that’s a lot more powerful than you are.” -Duane G. Carey
- “Either I will come back after hoisting the tricolor, or I will come back wrapped in it, but I will be back for sure” -Capt. Vikram Batra, PVC
- “Those of us who have never been in the military don’t understand what it is like to serve in the military.” – Gina Barreca
- “No real change in history has ever been achieved by discussions” -Subhas Chandra Bose
- “Some goals are so worthy, it’s glorious even to fail” -Capt Manoj Kumar Pandey
- Since India is free, it is now up to us to preserve its independence in the future. Happy Indian air force day 2020!
- Freedom is priceless. Waving the flag in the wind is a sign of our independence. Jai Hind. Happy air force day 2020!
- Who preserved faith and waged war; theirs, glory, our duty. Happy Indian air force day 2020! Happy Indian air force day 2020!
- Better to die searching for freedom than to stay a prisoner all your days. Happy air force day 2020!
- Today we breathe freely only because we live in a country that is free. Happy Indian air force day 2020!
- Enjoy the independence, but never underestimate independence fighters’ sacrifices. Happy Indian air force day 2020!
The Indian Air Force has had an impressive history of accomplishments since its establishment in 1932. This day is celebrated in numerous air stations around the country with great enthusiasm and pride. The parades at their air-bases are carried out in all the Air Force stations.
Also Read: Indian National Flag Facts For Kids