Dhanteras is a Sanskrit word that is an amalgamation of the words ‘Dhan,’ meaning money, and ‘Teras,’ meaning thirteen. Continue reading to know the importance and ritual of Dhanteras 2020.
About Dhanteras Festival
Dhanteras is the foremost day in the five-day Diwali festivities and is known also as the Dhanatrayodushi and Dhanvantari Trayodashi. Purchasing gold jewelry and new utensils is considered an auspicious day. In the month of Karthik, the thirteenth lunar day of Krishna Paksha is observed as Dhanteras as per the Vikram Samvat Hindu calendar.
Importance Of Dhanteras
It is considered to be one of the most auspicious days in the Hindu calendar and is often referred to as a festival of wealth. On this day, people are buying gold, silver, and other precious ornaments as a symbol of bringing Lakshmi home. On Dhanteras the ocean was thought to have been churned for “Amrita,” or nectar. Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Dhanvantri came out of that ocean milk that had the pot of Elixir that had been intended for long, stable life.
Story Behind Dhanteras Festival
The legend of King Himas, a 16-year-old son, is also linked to Dhanteras Puja. His death on the fourth day of his marriage had been prophesied according to his horoscope by the snake bite. On this day, his wife spread out all of her sparkling diamonds, gold and silver coins, and other decoration in the shape of a heap at their sleeping rooms’ entrance, and lit up her room with lamps or “diyas” so her husband could not sleep. She often sang her husband songs and poems, keeping him awake during the night in order to avoid snake bite. When “Yama” came in the shape of a snake at their entrance, he was shivered in the lights and glistening ornaments at the threshold and returned the morning after he heard the songs and tales. His wife saved the life of the princes, and that is why this day is celebrated as Dhanteras.
How to Get Prepared for Dhanteras?
People look forward with great excitement to this festival. According to the traditions, several days before the festival they clean their homes completely, decorating with the candles, diyas, paintings, flowers, and many other items in their homes throughout the day. They also decorate the door with rangoli and small feet just outside the door, which they believe to be the feeling of Goddess Lakshmi, and hope to join their families with the goddess of wealth.
How To Celebrate?
This festival is celebrated by the Hindus by buying gold or silver decorations and some utensils.
On the night of Dhanteras, Lord Ganesha, Lord Kuber, and Goddess Lakhsmi are worshipped. This is how Dhanteras Puja Vidhi is performed:
Give a bath and sandalwood paste to Lord Ganesha. The lord is then given red cloth and flowers. The mantra to worship Ganesha is also recited:
वक्रतुण्ड महाकाय सूर्यकोटि समप्रभ ।
निर्विघ्नं कुरु मे देव सर्वकार्येषु सर्वदा ॥
Offer fruit, flowers, sweets, and Diya to Lord Kuber. To honor Lord Kuber, sing the following Mantra:
ओम यक्षाय कुबेराय वैश्रवणाय धनधान्यपदये
धना-धनाय समुद्भूतं मे देहि दापय स्वाहा
A Kalash with water and gangajal, betel nuts, flowers, coins, and grains of rice, spread over a raised platform. Maa Lakshmi’s idol should be put on the grains of rice. Businessmen have placed their books of accounts (Bahi Khata) near the idol of the goddess Lakshmi. The goddess gave the turmeric, the vermillion, the roses, and the Diya. You can sing the following mantra to worship Maa Lakshmi:
ओम श्रीं ह्रीं श्रीं श्रीं कमले कमलालये प्रसीद प्रसीद ओम श्रीं ह्रीं श्रीं महालक्ष्म्यै नमः
Many people fast all day long and breakfast only after Lakshmi puja at night. It may not be convenient for those with a wide degree of knowledge of pooja processes to conduct Lakshmi Puja with all precise Vedic rituals Let our skilled pandits assist you in performing a customized Lakshmi Puja to please the Goddess of riches and prosperity if you are unable to perform precisely.
Puja Date in 2020 and Muhurat
Day and Date: Friday, 13 November 2020
Auspicious time for Puja: 05:28 PM to 05:59 PM.
People worship Goddess Lakshmi for a prosperous life and well-being in Dhanteras. In the evening, a lamp is illuminated to mark the sacredness of a house after getting rid of all waste and cleaning the house carefully. The goddess of riches is eulogized by devotional hymns and she is given sweets and fruit.
Hindus adore Lord Kuber, who along with Goddess Lakshmi on Dhanteras is considered treasurer of wealth and the bestower of wealth.
Dhanteras 2020: Wishes & Messages
- Clean your houses, furnish candles, render Rangolis, and illuminate diyas as Goddess Lakshmi comes here. Happy Dhanteras!!
- Diyas shine for hours, Sun shines a day, but my wishes for you will shine forever. Have a peaceful and blessed Dhantera!
- May you and the family receive a rich fortune, and may you receive Goddess Lakshmi’s divine blessings now and forever. Shubh Dhanteras!
- May your life be rich enough to give you all the comforts you have ever wanted. Stay blessed, happy Dhanteras!
- May Lakshmi Goddess bless your business, despite all the odds such as gold and diamonds’ enduring charms. Happy Dhanteras!
- The Dhanteras lights up new visions, new aspirations, new directions, and diverse viewpoints, all luminous & lovely and fills your days with pleasant surprises and moments. Happy Dhanteras.
- The blessing of God could come as a surprise, and how much you receive will depend on your heart’s faith. May you be blessed beyond your dreams. Happy Dhanteras!
- On the occasion of Dhanteras, warm wishes to you. May Lord Kuber shower you with riches and prosperity for a life of beauty.
- May every day of your life, on the occasion of Dhanteras, be bright and blessed by Lord Dhanvantri. Warm wishes to all of you on Dhanteras.
- Buy gold and silver and celebrate the auspicious opportunity with your loved ones, make it a memorable Dhanteras.
- Wishing everyone a very happy Dhanteras. May your blessings always be showered by Lord Kuber and Lord Dhanvantri.
- The blessings of God will come as a surprise and the amount you receive depends on how much your heart will believe. May you be blessed beyond what you’re expecting. Shubh Dhanteras!
Dhanteras is being observed two days before Diwali. It is important to note that devotees are recommended to wear gold-colored clothing on this day or something that is bright in color.
Also Read: Interesting Facts About Diwali For Kids