The Friendship Day is celebrated on August 2nd, 2020 to remind friends how valuable they are and to express their affection, support, and other sentiments. This day is usually celebrated so that we and our friends can make this day special. Scroll down to know why we celebrate friendship day.
Friendship day 2020
One of the most awaited celebrations and days of the year is Friendship Day. Friendship Day is devoted to friends and friendship-spirit. On the first Sunday of August every year, friendship day is celebrated. This year, Friendship Day will fall on 2nd August.
The celebration of Friendship Day began in 1935. The goal of Friendship Day 2020 is to celebrate and practice a strong bond and devotion to one another without any differences in caste, color, race, and culture. Friendship is built on faith, trust, and friendship. A bond of friendship is unbreakable.
History of Friendship day
The Friendship Day tradition began in 1935 when the US Congress decided to celebrate a day of friendship memory. While we do not know exactly why this day took place, retrospective perceptions of the world scenario of the day will contribute to an understanding. With the destructive effects of the First World War still demonstrating and that hostility, distrust, and hatred among countries that provided the perfect conditions for another inevitable war, friendship and camaraderie were more needed not only between nations but also between individuals.
What is Friendship?
Friendship can be referred to as a close relationship between two people, marked by a sense of respect, care, admiration, concern, and love. Friendship is not absolutely definable. Nevertheless, some common characteristics of friendship include:
- A degree of devotion to both the relationship and the welfare of the other person
- An interest or desire to be in daily contact with the other person. Regular contact may occur once every two days or once every two years.
- Mutual confidence, deep concern, and compassion.
- Shared interests, opinions, beliefs, and hobbies.
- Sharing information about each other’s lives, feelings, fears, or interests.
- Feelings of passion, admiration, wonder, or gratitude.
Significance of Friendship day
Friendship Day represents the importance of harmonious friendships. The day essentially seeks to help human beings cultivate love & harmony. Friends are the ones people share their pleasures and sorrows with. Friends guide us and help us navigate through life’s highs and lows. So there is a special day to celebrate these people who are such an integral part of our lives.
How Friendship Day Is Celebrated
Friendship day is traditionally celebrated around the world in order to remember the real friendship that brings people peace and love. There are several ways of celebrating Friendship Day. Friendship Day celebrations include:
- Meeting friends
- Cards, flowers and gifts exchange
- Public and cultural organizations celebrate Friendship Day with the organization of social and cultural events
- Rock bands in countries like the US are planning special concerts to increase the rejoicing
- The most well-known and popular thing of the day is the “Friendship Band,” the modern sign of friendship the friends give to each other to create an everlasting bond. Instead of traditional friendship bracelets, girls use friendship bracelets.
- For a special day, people plan ahead and party.
How to celebrate Friendship day 2020 amid COVID-19?
The day is celebrated among the COVID-19 pandemic in memory of all of the real love in the world. The Friendship Day can be celebrated by:
- Virtually give them warm greetings
- Send gifts to your friend
- Tell your friend how much you appreciate your friend
- Plan a trip
- Give them their favorite gifts
- Give a helping hand to your mate
- Share a photo collage on social media of yourself and your friend
Quotes About Friendships
- Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is by far the best ending for one. – Oscar Wilde
- The best mirror is an old friend. – George Herbert
- “Books like friends should be few and well-chosen.” – Joineriana
- “Silence is the true friend that never betrays.” – Confucius
- “We do not so much need the help of our friends as the confidence of their help in need.” – Epicurus
- “A sympathetic friend can be quite as dear as a brother.” – Homer
- “Without friends, no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.” – Aristotle
- “A faithful friend is the medicine of life.” – Apocrypha
- I hope we’ll remain friends until we die and then I hope we’ll remain ghost friends.
- If I give you my horrific selfies, then our friendship is real.
- Friends are those unusual people who ask how we are and wait to hear the answer afterward.
- It’s hard to find a trusting, compassionate, intelligent, beautiful, and funny mate. You just got lucky.
- A friend is someone who knows something about you and loves you anyway. Thank you for being such a wonderful friend.
- A single rose could be my garden … A friend of mine, my world.
- True friendship comes when there is comfortable silence between two people.
- You will be my best friend forever. You know too much already.
- Many people are coming and going, but only true friends are leaving their footprints in your heart.
- My best friend is the one who brings the best out of me.
- “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” Walter Winchell
- “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.” Winnie the Pooh
- “I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.” Ernest Hemingway
- “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” C.S. Lewis
- “True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable.” David Tyson
- “Sweet is the memory of distant friends! Like the mellow rays of the departing sun, it falls tenderly, yet sadly, on the heart.” Washington Irving
- “There’s not a word yet for old friends who’ve just met.” Jim Henson
- “A single rose can be my garden… a single friend, my world.” Leo Buscaglia
- “Don’t make friends who are comfortable to be with. Make friends who will force you to lever yourself up.” Thomas J. Watson
The celebration of Friendship Day has come a long way. Yet the fundamental concept behind the event remains the same but changed the forms of celebrations. The Day of Friendship is when you remember the contribution your friends bring to your life, show your love for them, celebrate your life, and pay a tribute to them.
Also Read: Hanging Out With Friends For Better Health